1.05.2006

Optimizing Word Press Blogs

I have been meaning to write a post on how to optimize a sight for wordpress for a while. It seemed like one of those projects I would get around to when I had a moment. Which turns out to almost never. Thankfully I stumbled across Jim Westergren's Blog. While his entire site is not dedicated to SEO for blogs he has a great post on SEO for Wordpress blogs. While I agree with most of what he says. I only differ from him in one aspect. He says:

Took away unnessary links and put rel=nofollow on some.
You don’t need for example two links back to Wordpress - if you don’t want of course. Also the RSS links I put rel=nofollow on. The less external links you have the better, it means your other blog pages get’s a bigger share of the PageRank


I completely agree with putting nofollows on certain things like rss feeds, trackback links, and the like. I believe that a blog is an extention of a conversation beyond your one site. It is what the web should be. Not static but dynamic with people sharing links. To limit the googlebot to only exploring your site is limiting that conversation. While this makes some sense when linking to a "bad" neighborhood, I don't like doing it in practice. I even think limiting the comments to nofollows is really just an easy fix. On my wordpress blogs I use Spam Karma. I never get spammy comments. There are tools out there for almost every blogging software that will help with comment spam. Limiting the links to nofollows is the easy way for any SEO. Course that just my soapbox talk for the day.

4 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger Jim Westergren said...

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

About the nofollow I only mean the RSS thing, comments and such. As you can see on my blog there are no nofollow on the author links in comments and also none when I put URLs in posts that I make - I like to be generous and you are right on that point - it is part of the blog thing to give and take.

BTW, due to good response on my post I might expand it. There are much more things I could write about - hope I get the time soon to do that.

 
At 3:40 AM, Blogger Angela Chen Shui said...

I'm new to WP, so now I have to go find out how to do this 'no follow' link....

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Liz said...

You can get a plug in that will allow you to have no-follows on all your WP links. Clint Ecker has one on his site at switch-case. http://phaedo.cx/archives/2005/01/18/wp-nofollow/ Another is available from Alex Halavais http://alex.halavais.net/news/index.php?p=1021

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger TraveltoGhana said...

thanks for the post and the great resources included in it.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home